It's a shame I only got into the Decemberists this year. They are the perfect band for December, and winter in general. I've really been a big fan of folk-rock music, but only this year did I really start venturing more into the genre. I'm so happy I did, because during finals, I'll be blasting the Decemberists, rather than Christmas music. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not!
Here are a couple of my favorite songs, in case you want to start listening to them too! (Or if you just want to see which ones I liked!)
- Here I Dreamt I was an Architect-- The first song of theirs I heard. It's one of those songs that doesn't get old no matter how often you've heard it on repeat.
- Engine Driver-- My favorite lyric of theirs comes from this one: "I am a writer, writer of fictions, I am the heart that you call home."
- This is Why We Fight-- I constantly hear this at Starbucks, but I still don't mind it. This is from their latest album, and it's really different to a lot of their prior songs. Personally, I love when bands evolve as they grow older, but I feel a lot of people don't share the same sentiment.
- Angel, Won't You Call Me?-- This is from their really early stuff, but it's so drastically different! I think this one is just a really cute song, and whenever this song comes on shuffle I just want to smile.
- One Engine-- From the Hunger Games soundtrack. I loved this song. It fits perfectly with the tone of the movie, and is filled with fantastic lyrics.
- Leslie Anne Levine-- To be perfectly honest, I think Castaways and Cut-Outs is a beautiful album. If I had to start with anything by this band, I would start with this one for sure.
- The Crane Wife 3-- This song took me a while to love, but now it's definitely one of my favorites.
- Billy Liar-- It's such a good walking song! It's such a bouncy song, and I think it was inspired by the movie Billy Liar.
So what are your favorite December bands? Or are you more of a Christmas music fan? Sound off in the comments! :)