Saturday, December 1, 2012

Celebrating December with The Decemberists


It's a shame I only got into the Decemberists this year. They are the perfect band for December, and winter in general. I've really been a big fan of folk-rock music, but only this year did I really  start venturing more into the genre. I'm so happy I did, because during finals, I'll be blasting the Decemberists, rather than Christmas music. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not!
Here are a couple of my favorite songs, in case you want to start listening to them too! (Or if you just want to see which ones I liked!)

  1. Here I Dreamt I was an Architect-- The first song of theirs I heard. It's one of those songs that doesn't get old no matter how often you've heard it on repeat. 
  2. Engine Driver-- My favorite lyric of theirs comes from this one: "I am a writer, writer of fictions, I am the heart that you call home." 
  3. This is Why We Fight-- I constantly hear this at Starbucks, but I still don't mind it. This is from their latest album, and it's really different to a lot of their prior songs. Personally, I love when bands evolve as they grow older, but I feel a lot of people don't share the same sentiment. 
  4. Angel, Won't You Call Me?-- This is from their really early stuff, but it's so drastically different! I think this one is just a really cute song, and whenever this song comes on shuffle I just want to smile. 
  5. One Engine-- From the Hunger Games soundtrack. I loved this song. It fits perfectly with the tone of the movie, and is filled with fantastic lyrics. 
  6. Leslie Anne Levine-- To be perfectly honest, I think Castaways and Cut-Outs is a beautiful album. If I had to start with anything by this band, I would start with this one for sure. 
  7. The Crane Wife 3-- This song took me a while to love, but now it's definitely one of my favorites.
  8. Billy Liar-- It's such a good walking song! It's such a bouncy song, and I think it was inspired by the movie Billy Liar. 
So what are your favorite December bands? Or are you more of a Christmas music fan? Sound off in the comments! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like Christmas presents-- you can never have enough! ;)
I will definitely reply as soon as I can! :)

Thanks for reading again!