Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Story of the Name

Something that I've been questioned about is why I called this blog "Iced Peppermint Mocha." So, in order to answer that question, I will give you two stories. Choose which ever one you want... and then read the long story.
Short story:
I was walking back from Starbucks late one evening with my roommate, and I was drinking my favorite drink: a tall iced peppermint mocha. As I was guzzling down my drink, I was pondering what to name this blog. Suddenly, the name popped to my head: Iced Peppermint Mocha! And viola! The End.
The long story may be a bit more... interesting.
Long story:
For my writing class, I was writing about lifestyle blogs and researching them, when I realized the best way to understand the genre was to actually write for it. So I went about researching how to create a blog, what I needed, how to plan it, etc. The research I did for my paper really helped out with designing and getting the look just right.
The only thing missing was a clever name.
So I knew how to design, post, maintain and create this blog, that didn't have a name. Obviously I had a little panic dance, and started to think of everything I could. Some names I came up with that got scrapped were:

  • Your November-- named after one of my favorite Joshua Radin songs
  • The Smell of Petrichor-- because just 'Petrichor' had been taken.
  • The Smell of Dust after Rain-- See above reason
  • Smug Life-- Let's be glad this really wasn't a choice... (but it was)
  • Sheilly Problems-- A popular hashtag for my twitter
  • Defying Imagination-- which was an allusion to a lyric from the song Panic Station by Muse
The problem with most of these names were they were too silly or referenced something that could detour people from reading. It took a couple of days, before that fateful trip to Starbucks and honestly I couldn't have been any more grateful. 
For me, my drink of choice is an Iced Peppermint Mocha. Ask any of my friends on campus, and they'll tell you stories of how fast I can drink them, or how I sometimes will want to order something different and end up with an iced peppermint mocha instead. It's become that defining quirk of mine, that I can't help but be a little proud of. And since this blog is essentially about me and the things I enjoy, I couldn't think of a better thing to name it after. 
-- Sheilly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like Christmas presents-- you can never have enough! ;)
I will definitely reply as soon as I can! :)

Thanks for reading again!